BSc Management Studies (Entrepreneurship)
The Caribbean region prides itself as being a free enterprise system where private ventures strive to create employment and wealth for individuals and the society at large. The spark plug for wealth creation is the ‘Entrepreneur’. It is the Entrepreneur who creates value by embracing change as she/he identifies and explores opportunities.
About the Programme
The BSc Management (Entrepreneurship major) programme is designed to encourage and develop entrepreneurial competencies in individuals. The programme seeks to engender confidence in business leaders and business owners. Graduates of the programme will be equipped with the knowledge, skills and competencies in entrepreneurship that will enable them to:
- Apply broad integrative knowledge to management and leadership functions
- Critically analyse and assess opportunities obtained from market research and individual and organizational needs
- Forecast and analyse the profitability and worth of entrepreneurial undertakings
- Recognize entrepreneurial opportunities and how they can be developed to create new ventures or a new facility within an existing enterprise
- Apply entrepreneurial concepts and activities to local, regional and international environments
- Develop financial analysis and cost justification skills for new business ventures
- Appreciate the integrity and creativity of an entrepreneurial person
Who is this programme for?
The BSc Management (Entrepreneurship major) programme targets persons who currently run businesses, whether it is theirs or owned by others. It also targets persons who have an interest in the field of study and who intend to embark on entrepreneurial endeavours. Individuals of large corporations, as well as small and medium enterprises will benefit immensely from pursuing this programme.
Duration of Programme
The programme will be offered over 3 years (full-time) and 5 years (part-time).
Award of Degree
In order to be awarded the BSc Management Studies (Entrepreneurship major) degree, students must successfully complete the 90 credits as specified in the programme structure.
All courses will be delivered fully online. However, some courses may have face-to-face final examinations.
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in August 2015.
Applicants must meet the University’s normal matriculation requirements in order to be accepted into the programme. They must satisfy the requirements in either (a), (b), (c) or (d) below:
(a) Holders with CXC/CSEC and CAPE/GCE A Level qualifications having:
- An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC English A or CAPE Communications Studies; AND
- An acceptable pass in CXC/CSEC Mathematics or its equivalent; AND
- One of the following minimum qualifications:
- either five subjects (at least two GCE A Level or CAPE) and the remainder acceptable passes in CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level; OR
- four subjects (at least three GCE A Level or CAPE) and the fourth an acceptable pass in the CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level
Note: Grade requirements for CXC/CSEC subjects are General Proficiency - Grades I or
II prior to June 1998 and Grades I, II, or III from June 1998
(b) Holders of five (5) CXC/CSEC or GCE O’ Level passes or equivalent, not necessarily obtained at the same sitting
(c) Entrants with a Diploma, Certificate or Associate Degree from UWI or an approved Caribbean tertiary level institution
(d) Persons over the age of 21 who have been out of school for at least five years, on the basis of their overall academic and professional attainments
English Language Proficiency Examination
The English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT) is used to assess whether persons applying to pursue undergraduate degree programmes at the UWI Open Campus possess a satisfactory level of writing and reading proficiency in English for university academic purposes. For detailed information on the ELPT, see English Language Proficiency Test.
OOL1001 Orientation to Online
IYRS1001 Improving your Reading Skills
IYSS1001 Improving your Study Skills
IYMS1001 Improving your Math Skills (if applicable)
ECON0001 Remedial Mathematics (if applicable)