MEd in Literacy Instruction
Gain the knowledge and skills to manage the complexities of work within this field with the M.Ed in Literacy Instruction.
The M.Ed in Literacy Instruction enables you to:
• address problems of literacy instruction in the Caribbean using linguistic, biological, psychological, sociological and technological principles
• assess students’ instructional materials and learning contexts using a wide repertoire of assessment instruments
• implement research-based best practices in literacy instruction
• design effective, standards-based literacy programmes that cater for diverse learners
• design effective literacy instructional materials for both print-based and electronic media
• provide effective school leadership in literacy instruction
• carry out valid school-based research in literacy instruction
Who is this programme for?
The MEd in Literacy Instruction is for trained teachers who wish to prepare themselves for leadership roles in literacy instruction.
It links theory with practice by enabling participants to implement programme content directly in their classrooms and by enabling participants to carry out effective school-based research in literacy instruction.
The MEd in Literacy Instruction is a 36-credit programme comprising seven 4-credit courses, a research paper worth eight credits and a compulsory graduate online introductory course.
When will the programme start?
This offering of the programme begins in September 2016 and runs for 24 months ending in August 2018.
• MUST hold a Teacher’s Diploma from a recognised Teachers’ College.
• MUST have at least a lower second class undergraduate degree or its equivalent from an approved university.
All participants must take part in an orientation programme that introduces them to online study and prepares them for the demands of a UWI post-graduate programme.
Course of Study
OOL6001 Graduate Introduction to Online Learning
EDLS6501 Foundations of Literacy Instruction
EDLS6502 Best Practices in Literacy Instruction
EDLS6503 The Literacy Curriculum
EDLS6504 Literacy Assessment
EDLS6505 Literacy Materials Design
EDLS6506 Leadership in Literacy Instruction
EDLS6507 Research Methods
EDLS6520 Research Paper (Part 1)
EDLS6520 Research Paper (Part 2)