The UWI Open Campus website has been updated. Learn more
Close Menu


  • SHARE:
  • Google Plus

Frequently Asked Quentions




Can I do a double major via Open Campus?

No, you cannot pursue a double option via the Open Campus.  That option is not available to Open Campus students.


Can I do extra courses that are not a part of my degree programme?

Yes, you can.  However you would be required to submit a written request to your Programme Manager seeking permission to do said courses.


What happens after my Programme Manager grants permission for me to do extra courses?

You must submit an override request to your Site at registration time along with evidence of approval.  The Site personnel will then submit your override request as well as the approval email to the Open Campus Admissions Department for processing.

Can I pursue two degree programmes at the same time with the Open Campus?

No you can only be registered as a student for one programme at a time


Can I pursue a programme with the Open Campus and one with another campus of The University of the West Indies at the same time?

No you cannot. Although there are different Campuses The University of the West Indies is one institution and the Regulations indicate that you can only be registered in one programme at a time.




What is the procedure to apply online via the Open Campus?

Go to Admissions Portal and once there proceed to set up an account using your email address.  Complete the personal information section and then choose your programme of interest.  Once you have completed all area of the online application form, the next step would be to print and sign the application receipt.  Lastly, submit your application receipt along with original and one copy of your supporting documents to your Local Site Office.


I am out of the island and I will not be returning before the deadline date to submit my documents.  What options are available to me?

You can have a family member take the documents to the Open Campus Site on your behalf.  If you have the documents with you, you can take original and one copy to a Justice of the Peace/Notary Republic and have them certified and then arrange to have them couriered directly to the Admissions Department in Trinidad & Tobago or to the Site Office.


Who can I go to for advice on selecting a programme that best suits my needs?

You can acquire that assistance from the nearest Open Campus Student Facility or at the Admissions Department.


How long would it take for me to know if I was accepted into the university?

Upon submission of your application, you should expect to know the outcome within a period of two to four weeks.


How would I know the mode of delivery of my chosen programme?

This information can be obtained at your Local Site Office/Open Campus Student Facility.


If I reside in a country outside of the Caribbean region, can I pursue a graduate programme from that location?

Persons from outside of the Caribbean region may pursue a graduate programme depending on the option that they choose.  A few of the graduate programmes are assessed via an end of semester exam.  If the programme of interest does not have an end of semester examination, then it would be possibly to pursue the programme even from a non-Caribbean country.


Am I qualified to do any of the programmes offered by the Open Campus?

You can obtain information about the entry requirements for all of our programmes via this link:  There you will get a detailed overview of the qualifications for all programmes.


Which programmes are available to persons who wish to pursue part-time studies?

All of the Open Campus programmes are offered part-time.


When does the term start?

UWI Open Campus operates on a semester basis. Semester I normally begins in late August and ends in mid-December, Semester II begins mid-January and ends mid-May. Semester III or Summer Semester (compulsory for some programmes and optional for others, your Programme Manager will advise you accordingly) begins mid-May and ends in late July. Full details of these important dates can be found in the Academic Calendar.


I tried to apply for a programme but that option is not visible, why?

The following may be the reason for your inability to apply for your desired programme:

The application period has not been opened or has closed for that programme
You may be selecting the incorrect option to apply for the programme (Undergraduate, Graduate, CPE)


I have forgotten my application username and password, what do I do?

Email our Helpdesk Team for assistance at





If I need to defer entry, how should I go about this process?

If you wish to defer your entry, you need to make a written request advising the campus of same.  The request should be submitted via email and through your Local Site Office for transmission to the Admissions Department.  The request should clearly state your name, student registration number, programme of study, site and length of deferral.


What happens after I request a deferral of entry?

When a deferral of entry is requested, the staff member responsible for this process removes your registration for the semester, changes your student status to “deferred” in the student portal and places a suspension on your account until you are ready to commence the programme.


When is the deadline date to submit a deferral request?

Deferral requests should be submitted by the second week of the semester.


Who is eligible for a deferral?

Deferrals are granted to new students who are unable to start the programme upon acceptance.


If I do not accept my offer, how long will my application be valid?

Your application will be valid for one academic year or two semesters.


What would happen if I do not commence the programme after deferring for two semesters?

If you do not accept your offer after two semesters from time of deferral request, you application will be deemed invalid and you would be required to submit a new application.


If I need to re-apply for entry, would I be required to submit my documents again?

No, you will not be required to re-submit your documents once they were uploaded on your previous online application.  If you gained any additional academic qualifications that you wish to add to the new application, then you need only submit `the new information so that your records could be updated.


What is the difference between a regular deferral and a compulsory deferral of entry?

A regular deferral of entry is requested by a new student who is unable to take up the offer upon initial acceptance.  A compulsory deferral of entry is not requested by the students.  This mechanism was put in place to cater for new students who were unable to meet their financial obligations by the deadline date to pay their fees.  In this case the student’s courses are administratively removed from their records and the account is temporarily suspended until the student is ready to commence the programme.




Can I do the English Language Proficiency Test before I am assigned a student identification number?

No, you must have a student identification number before you can take the test.


When can I sit the English Language Proficiency Test?

The ELP Test is usually held in the months of March and November of each year.


Where can I obtain my results for the ELP Test?

Your results are sent to your Student Facility for posting up on the Notice Board.


Can I sit the ELP Test if I do not yet have my student identification card?

Yes, you can.  As long as you know your student registration number, you just need to walk with your national identification card and you will be admitted to the exam room.




Why do I have a financial clearance hold on my account?

Financial clearance holds appear on your account when you register for courses at the beginning of the semester. 


How do I get the financial clearance hold removed from my account?

You need to take your receipt of payment/GATE clearance information to your Student Facility Centre.  When this is done, the Site officials will remove the financial clearance hold from your account.


What would happen if I do not receive GATE clearance or I am unable to pay my fees by the given deadline?

You will be automatically de-registered from your courses and placed on Compulsory Deferral (new students) or Compulsory Leave of Absence (returning students) for the semester.


If I withdraw from the programme at the beginning of the semester, will I be eligible for a refund of fees paid?

A: Refunds are possible but it all depends on how early or how late into the semester, you make the withdrawal request.  You may follow this link for more information on the Refund Policy.


How do I go about requesting the refund?

The refund form can be found on the Open Campus website via this link:


If I am unable to pay my tuition fees all at once, is there a payment plan in place?

Yes, there is a payment plan.  For further information you can request details from your Student Facility/Local Site Office.


What is the procedure for accessing the payment plan?

You must meet with your Head of Site/Programme Officers to discuss your case.

You must pay at least one-third of fees, then complete and sign the Payment Plan Agreement Form and submit it to the Centre for approval.

Your Site will send out reminders to you one week before the deadline for payment each month.

You will receive a copy of the Agreement for your records.

Failure to make payments or present evidence of payments made by the due date will mean that you are in default of payment and the actions outlined in the Default Statement will be implemented.


Who is eligible for a payment plan?

If you are in good financial standing you will be eligible to sign up for the

Payment Agreement Plan. You should demonstrate the need for financial assistance and you should be registered for a minimum of 9 and a maximum of 15 credits.


Where can I get information about courses funded by GATE?

You can find information about the courses covered by GATE from the Student Facility office, the Admissions Department or via the Open Campus website at the following link:





How do I know if I will be eligible to graduate from the University?

You will be required to contact your local Open Campus Site to verify that your name is on the graduation list. You are eligible to attend if you receive a letter indicating that you have completed your programme and you are in good financial standing with the University.


Who do I notify/contact if I am interested in attending the graduation ceremony?

If you are planning to attend the Open Campus Graduation Ceremony, you must notify the Senior Assistant Registrar, Assessment, Awards & Records, Open Campus by completing the online Graduation Reply Form.


Would the words “Open Campus” be written on my UWI certificate?

No, your Certificate will look exactly the same as a graduate from the other campuses of The University of the West Indies.




Does Open Campus offer payment plans for Graduate programmes?

Yes, Our Payment Plan Agreements provide short-term financial assistance to cover tuition fees only and are approved for one semester at a time. Payment Plan Agreements are not available for the Summer Session. The Summer Session is a shorter period and for most programmes the Summer Session is optional.

It is not intended that Payment Plan Agreements should be the normal way in which students finance their entire programme. Such agreements are to be made at the discretion of the local Head of the Open Campus Country Site and are used judiciously to assist students who are having specific financial difficulties.


How would I know if I am accepted into a graduate programme?

You will be contacted via email from the respective personnel responsible for the graduate programme informing you when you are accepted and how to log in and accept your offer online.


What is the process for being accepted into the graduate programmes?

All applications are submitted to a Graduate Entrance Committee Board for assessment. Graduate entrance committee meetings are held throughout the application period. The board makes the final decision based on the applicant’s qualifications and experience whether they can be accepted or not into the programme.


What are the different types of graduate degrees?

 All graduate programmes offered can be located on the website at


What is the length of study for graduate programmes?

Duration of the graduate programmes can be located on the website at


Where can I find information about financial aid?

Financial information can be located on the website


Is there any financial assistance available for students pursuing graduate programmes?

Yes, students who require assistance to finance their programme of study at the University are encouraged to discuss their financial situation early with their Site administration so that they can help you identify the available options.


How do I apply for exemptions?

A link is provided on the student’s dashboard to apply for exemptions. Please note when registering the deadlines to apply for credit and exemptions for each academic year.


Can I have access to the course material beforehand?

No, students are not given access to course material until they have fully registered for the programme (i.e. register for courses, pay tuition fees, receive financial clearance etc.)


How long does it take for the Graduate Committee take to make a decision?

Depending on the applicant’s status a decision can be made within two-three weeks after submitting an application. Once all supporting documents are received for the applicant the Board will meet and make a decision.


Is it possible to change programme of study after I have submitted my application?

Yes, an applicant can email Charlene Holder ( or Maedica Mc David-Allen ( of the Registry Staff to request the change.


Does both referee reports need to be completed by academics for Graduate studies applicants?

No, referee reports can be completed by an employer as well.


Can applicants drop in the referee reports on behalf of the referee?

Yes, however your referees must place the completed form in a sealed envelope bearing their signature across the closure.  The reports can then be given to you for submission to the site office or mailed to the Registry.


Can I be registered provisionally without submitting all the required documents? 

No, the University is no longer facilitating this type of registration. Applicants must submit ALL supporting documents in order to be accepted and registered into the programme.


Can I transfer from one graduate programme to another once I’ve started the programme?

Yes, it can be facilitated based on the student’s progress in the current programme and if permission is granted by the Programme Manager. Please note the deadline to apply for programme transfers.


What is the process for requesting a programme transfer for graduate programmes?

A form is provided on student’s Dashboard to be completed to request a programme transfer.


Who makes the decision regarding programme transfer?

The Academic Programming and Delivery Division (APAD) which consists of the Programme Managers gives approval.


Can I start another programme with OC if my graduation status has not changed?

No, your student status must be changed to “Graduated” before a student can gain entry into another programme. 


Do I have to have a first degree to be considered for a graduate degree?

Applicants to the UWI Open Campus Graduate Programmes must satisfy the University Regulations governing admission to a Higher Degree and must generally possess an Honours Degree. Applicants to course-based Masters programmes (M.A., M.Ed., M.Sc., LL.M.) should normally have at least a Lower Second Class Honours degree or equivalent.

Candidates with Pass degrees, who have other relevant qualifications and substantial experience in the field to which they are applying, will be considered for entry to course-based Masters programmes on a case by case basis. Candidates with Pass degrees will normally be considered for entry into Masters programmes no sooner than two (2) years after the completion of the undergraduate degree.





How do I apply for a Leave of Absence?

You may apply for a Leave of Absence by obtaining the leave form from your dashboard and filling it out.  After completing the form, submit same to your Student Facility for forwarding to the Admissions Department.  You can also create the leave request online via your dashboard and the request will be processed by the Admissions Department.  After the deadline date passes you can also submit the request via email to the relevant Admissions staff member.


What happens after I submit my leave of absence request?

When you submit your leave request, your Site Coordinator enters the information from the form into the online portal for processing by the relevant Admissions staff.  The leave portal closes off when the deadline date arrives.  When this happens, the leave of absence form is forwarded to Admissions for processing.  Once it arrives in the Registry, the leave of absence is noted on your account, your student status is changed to reflect leave of absence and the student account is temporarily suspended until your return to the programme.


How would I know if my leave of absence is approved?

When your leave of absence is approved, a letter is prepared to that effect and couriered to your Open Campus Student Facility for collection by you.


How much leave of absence can I apply for throughout the period of my academic life?

You are entitled to four semesters of leave during the period of your student life.


How much leave of absence can I apply for at a time?

You can apply for a maximum of two semesters at a time.  If after the two semesters have elapsed and your circumstances remain the same, you may submit another request to extend your leave.


What happens if I utilise all of my leave of absence?

If you require more leave of absence after having utilized all of your leave entitlement, the request is submitted to the Academic Board for a recommendation.  The other option would be for you to withdraw from the programme and re-apply when your circumstances improved.


What is the deadline for me to apply for Leave of Absence?

Your request should be submitted by the second week of any given semester.


What happens if I need to apply for leave of absence after the deadline date has passed?

You can still submit your request along with a late fine of USD 30.00.  In extenuating circumstances, your request will still be assessed and treated accordingly.  Some leeway is given on a case by case basis and depending on how late the request was submitted.  If the leave cannot be immediately processed due to date of submission, the matter will be forwarded to the Academic Board Student Committee for a decision.




Where can I get my timetable for classes?

You can obtain the timetable from your dashboard in the Learning Exchange.





What is the process for me to apply for Special Admission?

You need to download and print a Special Admissions application form from the website of any one of the The UWI campuses or you can obtain the form from the nearest Open Campus Student Facility.  Complete the form and return to the Open Campus Office along with your Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate (where applicable), academic and professional certificates and transcript/s (if applicable).  The form will be forwarded to the Open Campus Admissions Department for processing.


Would I be eligible to apply for Special Admission?

  1. Persons sponsored by governments or other employers to read certain courses, not for credit towards a University qualification, under a special arrangement. 
  2. Private individuals who wish to pursue and develop a particular area of intellectual interest. 
  3. Graduates of the University of the West Indies or of other recognised universities who wish to pursue a particular course or courses:
  • To equip themselves for a particular job; 
  • To increase efficiency in the performance of a job; 
  • To satisfy entry requirements to a programme in this or another
  • To update or improve their knowledge in a subject. 
  • To be considered for entry as “specially admitted students”, applicants should normally be matriculable. 
  • Those students who do not satisfy the requirements for entry to the University should provide satisfactory evidence of their previous studies. In appropriate cases they may be required to sit a special entrance examination. In the assessment of the qualifications of applicants due allowance shall be made for their maturity.


How many courses can I take as a Specially Admitted student?

Normally, a specially admitted student should be allowed to take no more than (12) credits in any given year; nor more than a total of 24 credits under this category of registration. 




How do I go about transferring from the Main Campus to the Open Campus?

You must complete a Campus Transfer Application form which is normally located on the website of the respective main campus or at the Admissions department of the campus.

You then need to have your application approved by your Faculty/Dean and certified by the Assistant Registrar Admissions of the campus.  Your campus will then forward your application form to the UWIOC Registry along with the student transcript.


What happens after I submit my transfer application form?

You will be contacted by UWIOC Registry (RAR) via email indicating that we are in receipt of your application and that you must visit our website to submit an online application.

You would then be required to visit the UWIOC student facility of choice and submit your supporting documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate etc.)

Your application would be assessed and an offer would be given as a transfer student. An account is created in the student portal for you.  A copy of the offer letter is sent via email to your local Open Campus UWIOC student facility and the original is forwarded via courier to the student facility for collection.



How are my grades/exam records transferred from the main campus programme to reflect on my Open Campus records?

Your transcript will be forwarded to the UWIOC Examinations Department so that your Exam record in the OC student portal can be updated to reflect the information on your transcript which was supplied by the Admissions department (main campus).



If I am an Open Campus student how do I go about transferring to the Main Campus?

You need to complete a Campus Transfer Application form which is normally located on the website of the respective UWIOC student facilities or you may visit the nearest student facility for a hard copy of the application form.

You need to complete the transfer form and submit it to the UWIOC Site Coordinator or Head of Site, who then approves before forwarding to the UWIOC Registry (RAR).


What happens after the transfer form is received by the Open Campus Registry?

Upon receipt of the application form, your application is forwarded to the Admissions department of the desired campus along with all supporting documents and exam record.

The Admissions department of the Main campus will then assess your application and then contact you when a decision is reached.